Show/Hide

Eligibility and Enrollment

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Eligibility

All permanent employees working 20 hours or more are eligible to participate in the Town of Westwood's benefit programs.

All benefit eligible employees have the option of enrolling in either a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or a Preferred Provider Plan (PPO). Individual plans, as well as family plans, are offered to employees. An employee's health insurance contributions are deducted bi-weekly from his/her pay on a pre-tax basis, and are paid one month in advance.

Enrollment

New employees may enroll in a health insurance plan through the GIC. The health coverage will begin on the first day of the month following 60 calendar days from the first date of employment, or two calendar months, whichever comes first.

  • Employees contribute 32% of the premium for fiscal year 2016; the remaining 68% is paid by the Town of Westwood.
  • Employees contribute 50% of the premium for an Indemnity Plan; the remaining 50% is paid by the Town of Westwood.

In addition, an open enrollment period is held annually in the spring to allow employees to enroll in a health insurance plan or change their current plan. All changes made during the open enrollment period become effective on July 1st.

Enrollment in a health plan can also occur under a "Qualifying Event" (QE). A QE occurs when an employee loses health insurance coverage involuntarily through a parent or spouse.

In the event that an employee does not want health insurance coverage, an insurance waiver form must be completed.