COVID-19 Info & Updates:

Please Click Here for COVID-19 Information & Updates

Until further notice: All Fields (Town or School Property and including the High School and Deerfield Tracks), Playgrounds, Tennis Courts and Basketball Courts are CLOSED

The following public buildings are closed to the public: Town Hall, Public Library, Council on Aging, ICC/Youth & Family Services, Carby Street which includes Public Works, Building Department and Economic Development, Recreation Department including the pool.  

A green drop box is located in front of Town Hall for residents to drop off payments and other correspondence.  

Planning, Zoning & Conservation FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • Who is the Planning Board?

  • What is the difference between a subdivision and an ANR (approval not required)?

  • Does the Planning Board need to review my project?

  • Why can’t the Planning Board just say “no” to new development?

  • As an abutter, what kind of information is the Planning Board interested in hearing about?

  • What is a Variance?

  • What are the criteria required for approval of a Variance?

  • What is a Zoning Board Special Permit?

  • What is a scenic road and how can I find out if I live on one?

  • What does the Planning Board do?

  • What is an “Approval Not Required" (ANR) plan?

  • How can I find out if my land can be subdivided?

  • Can I initiate a zoning change?

  • How can I get more information about applications submitted to the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, or Conservation Commission?

  • What should I expect at a public hearing?

  • How can I make my concerns known if I cannot attend a Board or Commission meeting?

  • Are meetings of the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals & Conservation Commission open to the public?

  • What can I do as an abutter to stop a development from going in?

  • Will I receive notification of a Board or Commission's Decision?

  • How can I appeal a Planning Board Decision?

  • Where can I find the Master Development Plan for University Station?

  • What is a Special Permit?

  • What are the criteria required for approval of a Special Permit?

  • What’s the difference between a Variance and a Special Permit?

  • How long does the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) process typically take?

  • What are the voting requirements for a Decision of the Planning Board or Zoning Board of Appeals?

  • What should I expect to take place at the Zoning Board of Appeals or Planning Board’s public hearing?

  • What if I disagree with the Board's decision?

  • Do Board approvals expire?

  • Why do I need a Special Permit or Variance?

  • I received a notice that my neighbor is applying for a permit for his/her property. What should I do?

  • My Special Permit application was approved. Can I get started on the work prior to the end of the appeal period?

  • Do I need a lawyer, engineer, or architect to represent me at the public hearing?

  • How soon can I get on the next agenda of the Zoning Board of Appeals?

  • Can I get a “Variance” to change the zoning or the use of my property?

  • How many copies of plans and materials should I submit to the Zoning Board of Appeals?

  • What is Zoning?

  • How soon can I get on the Planning Board’s agenda?

  • How can I get a copy of the Westwood Zoning Bylaws?

  • What is the Board of Appeals and who comprises this Board?

  • How can I get a copy of a Board's Decision?

  • The Board voted to approve my application. Now what?

  • What are the Decision timelines for the Planning & Zoning Boards?

  • How can I get a copy of plans or documents?

  • How and when can I get on a Planning Board agenda?

  • Where can I get a copy of the Official Zoning Map?

  • When does the Planning Board meet?

  • How do I get copies of minutes of past Board or Commission meetings?

  • What’s the difference between a public meeting and a public hearing?

  • I am interested in being on the Planning Board, what is involved?