Westwood is creating a Housing Production Plan (HPP)!
Completing a HPP that gains approval from the Massachusetts Department of Housing & Community Development (DHCD) serves two purposes: (1) It provides a document that guides future Town decisions pertaining to residential development, particularly affordable housing and (2) It can provide a Safe Harbor from Chapter 40B challenges if the Town were to fall below its minimum 10% affordable housing requirement and can satisfy intermediate goals towards affordable development established in the HPP.
Progress Towards the Housing Production Plan
The Housing Partnership, with the support of the Housing & Zoning Division, is in the process of drafting Westwood's first HPP.
- Data collection and research for the Needs Assessment portion of the plan began in August 2018.
- Community engagement is an important component of the plan, and efforts were made to collect public input beginning in October 2018.
- A survey was published on October 15 and was open through November 5 both online and in paper format. It was advertised in a variety of media, including Westwood Wire, town website, social media, the school newsletter, local newspapers and email listserv. Over 200 responses were received.
- A Community Visioning Workshop was held at the Downey School Cafeteria on November 13. The workshop was open to the public and was advertised using the same marketing strategy as the survey. About 25 participants attended and participated in a series of small group discussion exercises. Participants received a presentation detailing preliminary highlights of the Needs Assessment, survey responses, and of Chapter 40B. Group exercises were designed to foster collaborative discussion of the town's vision for housing and strategy for affordable housing production.
- The Powerpoint presentation from the Community Visioning Workshop may be downloaded here: Community Visioning Workshop Presentation 11.13.18
- Westwood Media Center's recording of the Community Visioning Workshop may be viewed here: https://youtu.be/HRcDIKfgXG8
- The Planning Board has voted to adopt the Housing Production Plan. The hearing opened on November 5, 2019, and was continued to November 19, 2019. Members of the public contributed at both hearings, and changes recommended by the Planning Board were incorporated into the draft.
- The Select Board voted to adopt the Housing Production Plan at a meeting on December 9, 2019.
- Previous drafts of the Housing Production Plan may be viewed here: March 1, 2019, July 30, 2019, August 9, 2019, September 10, 2019, September 17, 2019, November 13, 2019, November 18, 2019, November 21, 2019 (with Planning Board amendments)
- Meetings will be posted on the town website when they are scheduled and are open to the public. Input and/or feedback in response to any of the materials posted here are always accepted through the Housing & Zoning Agent, Sarah Bouchard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Housing Division submitted the final draft of the Housing Production Plan to the state Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) for approval on 12/30/2019.
- DHCD issued an approval of the plan effective 1/3/2020.
Final Housing Production Plan and Exhibits
- Group Exercise Materials: Introductions
- Group Exercise Materials: Perfect World
- Group Exercise Materials: Obstacles
- Group Exercise Materials: Strategies
- Group Exercise Materials: Parcel Mapping
- Group Exercise Materials: Strategic Mapping
- Zoning Map May 2018
- Survey of Housing Needs in Westwood Results