The Economic Development Division provides information and assistance to existing and prospective Westwood businesses considering a Westwood expansion, location, or relocation. Staff are available to consult with business owners and property owners who are interested in developing or expanding commercial properties in a manner that fosters responsible economic growth while preserving Westwood’s unique community character.
- Proactively support the premise that “Westwood is Open for Business”;
- Encourage and assist in the permitting of future phases of the University Station project;
- Encourage Islington Center renewal through a public-private partnership with extensive community engagement;
- Facilitate the redevelopment of University Avenue properties that are not associated with the University Station project;
- Facilitate the redevelopment of Route 1 corridor to foster additional economic development, with a focus on the Glacier Park area;
- Identify opportunities in the High Street commercial corridor for redevelopment of existing commercial properties;
- Work on a process to facilitate the disposition of the Obed Baker house;
- Coordinate with state officials to obtain state business development incentives;
- Seek out and assist people looking to develop or locate businesses in Westwood, review their proposed plans and make recommendations to appropriate boards;
- Work with representatives from surrounding communities on regional coordination of transportation needs, water needs, public safety needs and any other infrastructure or service issues affecting economic development on a region wide basis;
- Continue to advocate for near term construction of the I93/I95 interchange project..