The Finance Commission consists of fifteen members appointed by the Town Moderator for three year overlapping terms.
Here are a few of the duties of Finance Commission members:
- Objectively oversees the annual appropriation of Town Funds to ensure efficient financial planning and management of the Town.
- Reviews the financial matters of the Town. Reports the Commission's recommendations and provides supporting information for Town Meeting approval.
- Consults and advises Town officials on short and long-term decisions which enable the Town to provide necessary services within financial constraints.
- Advises Officers of the Town as to expenditures and recommendations of appropriations, establishing priorities for spending Town funds efficiently and effectively.
- Considers all articles in the warrant for every town meeting; conducts public hearings prior to town meetings; reports in print to all residents before each town meeting its advice, estimates, and recommendations for consideration by the town meeting.
- Meets on a monthly basis from August to December and much more frequently from January until the annual town meeting held the first Monday in May.