Comprehensive Planning Committee
The Comprehensive Plan, created in 2000, is a visionary document that helps guide decisions in areas such as land use, economic development and transportation. It is not a law or regulation but simply a guidepost. We are currently undertaking a rewrite of the document to reflect the town’s hopes for Westwood’s future.
This effort began in October 2010; it led by the Planning Board and includes a Steering Committee comprised of representatives of elected and appointed boards, as well as sub-committees considering specific areas within the plan. Residents participated in the initial visioning workshop in October 2010, and have since then been invited to attend all meetings and to serve on sub-committees. Over that year valuable information was gathered and studied.
In January 2012, the Westwood Comprehensive Plan Steering Committee invited residents to participate in an online survey to share their opinions about Westwood. Questions included what they like best and least about living here, and what changes they would like to see in the future – or not see – regarding issues such as land use, business development, housing, transportation, recreation and open space. In June survey results were analyzed and presented to the Committee. Click here to view this presentation.
Other documents of interest:
- The Comprehensive Plan Committee reconvened on October 17th, 2013 to refresh members and reconfirm the preliminary goals and action items. Members discussed the next steps in subcommittees collectively updating each of the sections of the 2000 Comprehensive Plan with a final goal of drafting a companion update to the Comprehensive Plan.
- Members of the Open Space Subcommittee & Economic Development Subcommittee will be present at and participate at the Planning Board's meeting on Tuesday, December 17th at 7:30 p.m., 50 Carby Street.
- Members of the Transportation Subcommittee will be present at and participate in the Pedestrian & Bicycle Safety Committee Meeting on Thursday, December 19th at 7:30 p.m., 50 Carby Street.
- Members of the Climate Change Subcommittee will be present at and participate in the Westwood Environmental Action Committee Meeting on Thursday, December 19th at 7:30 p.m., 580 High Street.
- Next Meeting of the Open Space Subcommittee is Monday, January 13th at 7 PM, 50 Carby Street.
- Follow the Comprehensive Plan Committee/Planning Board on Twitter@WestwoodPB or by clicking here!